Monday, March 23, 2009

A Lesson From Dad


The immediate family and I spent Mothers Day with my Grandmother and other family members in North West London. On the way we were listening to the radio and having our customary driving debate; I drive too fast, mum too slow and my dad is a better driver than the Stig!

After i had enough of arguing with my dad about who was the better driver we got onto the topic of me not going to see Erykah Badu last year or Musiq Soulchild who was playing at the Indigo2 later that night. With everyone knowing that both Erykah and Musiq are my favourite artists by a long stretch my Dad didnt know what was stopping me from going to see them both. I explained that I couldn't go as my partner in crime was out of the country. He looked at me and smiled while rubbing my back. A sort of understanding/heartfelt pat on the back...

Literally 10 minutes later my Mums mobile rang then Musiq's latest single So Beautiful played on the radio. Dad had heard the first verse and turned the volume down. He whispered 'Son, have you got this song at home' I looked at him confused at why this big old man is whispering to me and said 'Yeah'! He smiled and said 'Thats good son'. I had no idea what the old man was up too!

I had the tune on my Blackberry and had planned to send it to my partner in crime but the bloody thing wouldn't send...pissed!

Got to my Nan's and had dinner with the rest of the fam which was really nice. Relaxed, caught lots of joke and reminisced on years gone by with my cousins.

Fast forward to driving home & pulling up to my house, the old man pulls me aside and tells me to put the tune on a CD and give it to him. Although confused at why the old man was so eager i went upstairs and did as he requested. Back downstairs i gave my Dad the CD. He popped it in the CD player then pulled Mum into the front room and pressed play, walked over to her with his swagger intact, pulled her by the hand and thanked her for being a wonderful mother to his kids.

I'm not gonna lie, I was sick in the mouth for a hot minute until i saw how after 36 years of marriage they were definitely still in love!

I made sure i sent the tune to my partner in crime. The 22nd March wasn't just a special day for Mothers in the UK...

6 comments:

Nicole said...

sweet.

its all about learning....

p.s i too wanted to go to the musiq concert.BADLY!

God bless u and ur family.

Solve said...

Thank you...

Anonymous said...

Thats really sweet.... wheres my copy?

Solve said...

Tomorrow Shan...promise!

MISS LAURA L-R COGONI said...

My gosh. i love this song! a lot.

ive had it on repeat for about a month. since i heard it first time on radio@netscape.com ;)

big luv family tree.xxx

MISS LAURA L-R COGONI said...

my gosh! i love this song! a lot.

ive had it on repeat for about a month. since i first heard it on radio@netscape.com ;)

big luv family tree. X