Friday, January 2, 2009

Where are all the female entrepreneurs?

Happy New Year People!

I know it’s a time of festivities and happiness, but recently I’ve been feeling slightly gloomy... If I’m honest, things have been getting on top of me lately, and the stress levels are slowly increasing! I often feel like I’ve started too much too early – and these thoughts are strengthened by the fact that not many of my female peers are following similar paths... Where are all the female entrepreneurs? Most ladies that I come across are completely satisfied with a 9 to 5, and there’s nothing wrong with that; except in today’s terrible economic climate it would be wise to secure assets or finances that you can depend on, and broaden your horizons!

I don’t really see any young ladies my age that I can look up to for inspiration, but then I came across...VASHTIE!

She’s probably most famous for being producer and artist Pharell Williams’ ex-girlfriend, but Vashtie is an inspiration and role-model in her own right. She’s four years older than me (24), and has done so much in the short time she’s been in the ‘entrepreneurial game’ so to speak! Her interests originate from fine art, but her love for fashion has pushed her into a wide range of lucrative business channels – directing music videos, creating clothing lines, and events management just to name a few. And she does it all with extraordinary swag!



What I love the most about her is she’s very low-key about everything – no-one would have known she’s responsible for running a major weekly New York hip-hop party with Q-Tip, and she’s taking it worldwide! Here's a video of her weekly party 1992, which looks wicked by the way!



Vashtie provides a huge amount of encouragement for me, particularly since she thrives in the type of industries I’m trying to get into; and we all know how difficult the entertainment game can be! Females really need more role-models like this.

Oh yeah (sorry I’m writing a lot in this blog! Bare with me) I actually didn’t know this but Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West and Pharell recently formed a supergroup called CHILD REBEL SOLDIER. Their debut single is called ‘US Placers’, which features Thom Yorke, lead singer of Radiohead, who sings the indie band’s signature chorus from their song ‘The Eraser’. And guess who directed their debut video?? Vashtie! Here it is:



Ladies, do something New this Year!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

hey cam, feeling your post, i agree us ladies gotta step up our game, your post made me kick myself, although a yr isn't alot your a yr younger than me and that energy u have to do big is bloody inspiring, not even, more motivating than anything! i cant tell much about you frm this blog, but i have a proposal...not a big 1 but its a step, i dnt know where you are in life at the moment, but i dnt feel to discuss it so openly like this....if you are interested email me on
nicole.rina@live.co.uk

if not no hard feelings, keep on keeping on init
whatever the weather
God Bless