Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Beacuse it's Wednesday!

So I was thinking a lot (too much) about what to put in my Wednesday posts. I will write about artists, maybe designers (in branding and fashion) or any other random events I sometimes attend. I do not have an immense repertoire of blogs, websites that I visit on a daily basis in order to “know it all”, so I can write about it. One can never know it all, and in my opinion, many blogs have become a way to show off, how much time one can waste online… or don’t you agree that posting 5-6 posts per day is excessive and shows a lack of interaction with the real world.(?)
So you will be hearing from me twice a week. That is enough time to give an insight to what I like and do in the other 167 hours per week, hustling’ard in real life :).


Because it’s Wednesday!

Michael Liebowitz is an Architect, lover of good design, and holds a range of important positions. He is founder of a company called Spaceship, board member of SoDA (Society of Digital Agencies), leads seminars across the globe on creativity and innovation and on digital engagement, and is a frequent juror on creative awards such as the Cannes Lions, Clio Awards and the D&AD.
So all in all, this makes me dizzy enough to respect this guy for his dedications to the creative world… and kind of makes me jealous. But I still have time to be a big shot.
So he published a collection of quirky hotel door hangers, which he inherited from his granddad. I think this I s a great way of showing simple and effective design. Almost like international sign-language. My favorites are the ones with less copy. They make sense and prove that our brains pick up on simple icons to understand a message. We all know what it means without needing to describe what it is. This is the simple basis of all successful branding design.







“ They are also a metaphor. As an entrepreneur, I’m constantly working out when to open doors and when not to, when to clean up and when to leave people be. But more than that, what does “Do not disturb’ really mean? It means, “Rest in piece”.





There are plenty more... but these are some of my favourites. Enough for today and back to the real world.

No comments: